What to do in the event of an accident
In the event of an accident occurring, the following steps should be taken:
- Complete the accident/incident reporting form and notify local steward or Branch Health and Safety Officer. If you are unable to complete accident/incident reporting form yourself advise your manager who must do it for you.
- Unison recommends you keep a copy of the form for your records before sending.
- Ensure that the accident is recorded correctly and fully in accident reports. Provide as much information as possible as to what has happened. The cause of the accident should be reported. An opinion is able to be given regarding whom or what is to blame for the accident.
- Take photographs if necessary to provide evidence of the cause of the accident, location, relevant equipment’s etc.
- Ask your local rep or branch to be immediately referred through the union for free legal advice.
- Members can also complete UNISON accident benefit claim form. Please contact branch or local rep for more details.
Contact details for UNISON Birmingham Branch Health and Safety Officer:
Abdul Sattar (0121 200 3331)
19th Floor, McLaren Building, 46 Priory Queensway, Birmingham, B4 7LR