We have been made aware of a small number of instances where schools have been closed due to a potential risk of exposure to the Coronavirus (COVID19) and where school cleaners were told to do a ‘deep clean’ of the schools.
UNISON regions have rightly intervened to stop our members being put at potential risk.
If any instances like this occur elsewhere we need to intervene to ensure schools do the following:
- Conduct full risk assessments
- Contact the Local Health Protection Team for advice and support
- Ensure only those fully trained and equipped with the relevant protective equipment are involved in any deep clean. A specialist cleaning team my have to be established
- Provide the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including appropriate face masks for those responsible for decontaminating the school
- Notify all staff and keep them updated on any development
See the Department for Education (DfE) Advice. We have made contact with DfE officials to express our concerns