The Branch has a vacancy opening up for a Young Members Officer, as the person currently in post is aging out of Young Members (turning 27 this year) and the post was not filled before our Branch AGM.
The Young Members Officer is an important role, bringing young voices to the branch is vital in the progression of our Branch and bringing an understanding of issues Young Members face.
Birmingham UNISON wants young members to play a full part in union activities. As the branch Young Members Officer you will work with other branch officers to recruit new members and encourage existing
young members to become active. You will sit on the Branch Committee (bi-monthly meetings) and Branch Executive (monthly meeting) to make sure issues of concern to young workers are raised by the branch. You will work towards being a focal point for all young members in the branch and workplaces so they can come to you with ideas, concerns and problems. You will also help to set up activities with the branch on issues relevant to young workers.
Tasks relating to the post of young members’ officer:
- To recruit new members and to encourage existing young members to become active in the Branch.
- To make sure issues of concern to young workers are raised by the Branch.
- To act as a focal point for all young workers in the Branch and workplaces.
- To receive and distribute UNISON young members information.
- To encourage involvement in UNISON young members campaigns.
- To build branch young members organisation and to ensure there are potential new Young Members’ Officers in the future.
Other branch officers will assist in these tasks.
Branch young members’ officer must be under 27 years of age for the whole of their term of office.