#WorldAgainstRacism Day of Action
Saturday 20th March
1pm #TakeTheKnee – 5pm Online Rally
The #WorldAgainstRacism international day of action this Saturday 20 March comes in the wake of the shocking events of the last few days that have again highlighted the discrimination and inequality at the heart of our society.
The police response to the Clapham Common vigil for Sarah Everard – and now the new policing bill – are signs that the government is using the Covid19 crisis to attack the right to peaceful protest.
The threat, in the bill, of 10 years in prison for pulling down a statue is clearly aimed at the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Environmental campaigners, trade unions and the Gypsy Roma Traveller community are also targeted.
At 1pm this Saturday we’ll #TakeTheKnee across Britain to oppose racism, Islamophobia and antisemitism, to oppose the new policing bill and to defend the right to protest. #TakeTheKnee actions across Britain will be linked up online via Zoom between 1pm and 2pm which will go live to protests and actions across the world.
We’ll be adding the #KillTheBill hashtag to our Twitter storm 1pm to 2pm on Saturday alongside #WorldAgainstRacism & #TakeTheKnee, and we’ll be raising defence of the right to protest as a central part of our online #WorldAgainstRacism rally hosted by the TUC and Stand Up To Racism at 5pm.
1PM – #TakeTheKnee wherever you are
1-2PM: Live link up with events around the world
5PM: Online rally
- Diane Abbott MP
- Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP
- Richard Burgon MP
- Peter Hain, Labour Peer
- Christine Buchholz, Member of German Bundestag
- Frances O’Grady TUC General Secretary
- Kevin Courtney, NEU Joint General Secretary
- Patrick Roach, NASUWT General Secretary
- Sharan Burrow, ITUC General Secretary
- Roger Mckenzie, UNISON Assistant General Secretary
- Marwan Muhammad, former Director of Collective Against Islamophobia (France)
- Andrea Garaffe, Sardines Movement Founder (Italy)
- Mavuso Misimang, former ANC underground leader (South Africa)
- Halima Begum, Runnymede Trust Chief Executive
- Dr Peng Wang, University lecturer subjected to racist attack in Southampton
- Neville Southall, former Welsh International Footballer
- Jacqueline Mckenzie, Windrush Justice Project
- All Black LIves UK
- David Rosenberg, Jewish Socialists’ Group
- Shahrar Ali, Green Party Home Affairs Spokesperson
- Plus Sabby Dhalu & Weyman Bennett, Stand Up To Racism